View Single Post

Old 08-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Default Re: Deed Restricted Communities

Having lived over 23 years in Florida and having purchased three homes during that time, I can assure people new to Florida there are no upscale communities in Florida without deed restrictions. It is just a fact: The tighter and more comprehensive the covenents the better the community appearance and the higher the property values. This was necessary in Florida because before these restrictions we would make the greatest investment of our lives in a nice home only to see property values deteriorate because someone in the neighborhood decides to excersize his or her property rights to do whatever they want.

I never buy a home in Florida without asking for a copy of the deed restrictions or covernance well ahead of the closing date so I can study and understand all restrictions before the date of signing. It is the law the developer must provide these restrictions ahead of time if they are requested. If I do not like what I see, I don't close. If someone does not understand or read the restrictions ahead of the closing date or during the closing then it is their fault when they find something they do not like. And finally, if someone does not like deed restrictions then why did they buy in The Villages? Go someplace else. I guarantee you will not find a upscale development in Florida without them.