Thread: Pizza
View Single Post

Old 08-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Pizza

As far as I am concerned, Pizza is an acquired taste and texture piece of food. I was raised in Jax, Fl. Pizza Inn, Shakeys and Tony's were my choice. We had small, medium and large. I moved to NJ and they only had large. They were much more greasy or oily (pick your term). In Andover, NJ, Mario's changed from brother to brother and they had some great pizza. You could order extra crispy and it was to die for (along with a side of hot mussels). Now I am back in FL and cannot find a really great pizza. I like Snappies because they deliver and have good pizza with a nice spice to the sauce - but no mussels). Pauley's is doughy and a little greasy and limp. I cannot eat pizzas with the cheese inside the crust so Pizza Hut is out.

I went to Chicago and was not happy with the "deep"dish" pizza. How do you pick up a slice and eat it with out getting it all over you? If you need a knife and fork to eat a pizza it is not a pizza.

Besides Mario's in Andover, NJ, Mystic Pizza in Mystic CT had a GREAT pizza. The wife and I went there at least once a year - sometimes twice. It was a 240 mile trip but well worth it. That pizza would melt in your mouth - not too cheesy and never greasy. They even had a frozen pizza that we used to get at the local A&P. Not the same but just as tasty.

What do you look for in a pizza? Is it taste? Cheese? Add ons? Firmness?

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.