View Single Post

Old 09-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Default Re: EYE SURGERY (LASIK)

Steve.

I had Lasik in 1996 (age 42) as part of the FDA trial to get it the approval to offer it as a viable alternative to glasses in the US. At the time there was over 20 years of work with it in Saudi Arabia and Russia.
Anyhow, all went well and I went 7-8 years without glasses - amazing...able to drive, see in the shower, see the clock on the bedside when I woke up. I elected to have both eyes corrected completely as there is an option to allow one eye to stay nearsighted and basically prevent the need for reading glasses. In the last 3 years, they are now able to do a new laser procedure to correct for that as well. In the last 2 years, my vision started to flounder and is now failing to the point of where I am wearing glasses again. I would still recommend lasik as I am again wearing glasses, but not to the extent of before. I can still move around comfortably in the house without them where as pre lasik, I could not do anything.

As the technology has greatly improved since the FDA trial, please investigate the latest information as I was part of the trial to make it available. I had mine done at Emory (Atlanta).
Zug, Switzerland
Usingen, Germany
Woodstock, GA