View Single Post

Old 09-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Eternal Member
Default Re: 1080p Is OK, But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna
There isn't any HD programming broadcast over-the-air, on cable or satellite that has 1080 horizontal lines of resolution. The most currently available from any broadcast source is 720 lines. That is what you're seeing when you watch High Definition, and I agree it is glorious!

The only 1080 input available is from DVD's created with that level of definition. Not all movies are--in fact, very few movies available for rent, other than the very newest, are created with 1080 lines.
Kahuna,

I think you may be confusing 1080i and 1080p. What I read tells me that 1080i is broadcast as an HD signal. My cable box lights up with which resolution it's receiving, and it does light up as both 720p and 1080i depending on the station and the show. 1080p is only available on BluRay and HD-DVD formats, but the HD-DVD players as of today only play 1080i. If you want to see a 1080p show, you need to watch a BluRay disk.

I recently purchased a DVD player that "up-converts" the normal DVD picture to 1080i and runs it thru my HDMI input on the receiver. That made a pretty visible improvement to the normally very clear DVD picture. It cost about $100 in March, and they are now cheaper.

Regards,
Steve