View Single Post

Old 09-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Default Re: What things should I NOT miss while visiting TV.

I have just joined this forum this evening so if it sounds like I'm fumbling it's because I am.

My wife and I stopped by TV last a year ago to see an uncle while we visiting in Florida. We were fasinated with The Villages' concept so we spent the rest of the afternoon on the Trolly Tour and talking to a sales rep. Over the next 10 months we kept up with the life at TV through the Daily Sun (on line). Then in July we rented a home in the Duval Village and spent a week there. One recomendation that I would add is to attend the CDD orientation on Thursday morning. They do an excellent job (in about 2 hours) explaining the government, taxes, bonds, etc. Also look in the paper for activities at the Church on the Square and don't miss the music on either town square.

On the Life Style tour, you'll get a guest ID card which entitles you to 5 free meals (a great value on great food), movie tickets, golf, discount on TV polo shirts and tennis. Our house was 4.5 miles from Sumter Landing and we don't play golf so the cart wasn't necessary (although we rented one for a day but only used it for 3 hours). Take advantages of all of these opportunities.

The radio station is very good, the newspaper is OK but the TV TV station sucks. It shows the same half hour news prorgam continously all day long. I would also go onto the TV web site and look at homes for sale and then visit some open houses in the styles that interest you. (I like the more established neighborhoods rather than the new construction.)

Be aware that the sidewalks roll up at 9 pm, including the grocery stores. Wal-Mart is open late by it's about 6 miles from Duval. At 14 mpg, that about a half day's travel in a golf cart.

We are looking at selling our home in Pittsburgh in Spring 2009 and possibly moving to TV in the summer. It's a great place for active adults who are looking for a full-time vacation.