Thread: FLOOD Insurance
View Single Post

Old 03-08-2014, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
I was a REALTOR in North Carolina and our MLS listings showed the flood zone for properties so that information was readily available. We were also schooled on how to
obtain flood maps and read them - our contract included a clause that voided the contract if you could not obtain flood insurance for the property. This was a coastal town which may have made the difference.

We arrived in TV in June of 2012 and shortly after experienced a tropical storm. I was absolutely amazed how TV can so quickly and adequately move water. We are at the bottom of a slope (fortunately our home sits higher) and literally had a river flowing through the backyard to the drain that emptied within hours of the storm. When I saw the efficiency of their water movement I wondered why so many cities failed so miserably at this concept. Of course TV has the opportunity of turning on the golf course irrigation to lower the retention ponds which most cities don't have.

I attended a Weather Spotter workshop just recently presented by the National Weather Service and a Mr. Noah (???) (That IS his name and he is associated with The National Weather Service in Tampa.)He made the same statement as to how well The Villages has prepared for flood.

For those new to the area, I was astonished to see the sprinklers in the common areas come on when there was torrential rain. This is to keep the pond levels low. They can also pump water from one pond to another.

I cannot remember the number of inches that fell here in an hour three or four years ago and we had a high water area, not serious and not long, and not affecting any homes directly near Mallory.

I personally see no need for flood insurance here.

5" of Rain