View Single Post

Old 09-08-2007, 07:41 AM
Sage
Default Re: mysafefloridahome.com

Worked for me.... I had a local home inspector do my end of warranty year inspection and he also did the windstorm mitigation inspection for an additional $60. I'm insured with Travelers thru Villages Insurance.

My first year premiums were about 1,050; in my renewal (before inspection), it would have gone up to $1,575 (ouch); after the inspection they adjusted it down to $875...so, a huge savings. I have a one year old block house. Age and type of construction are big factors in the calculation.

My understanding is that ASI (one of the other big insurers in TV) already incorporates the construction factors into their premiums. Before my inspection, I did get a phone quote from ASI at about $1,250.

Other difference is that ASI will write a $500 hurricane deductible, whereas Travelers only writes % deductible (2%, 5%, etc). So, on a 300K home you would pay the first $6,000 out of pocket repairs (at 2%) for hurricane damage.

Hope this helps those shopping for insurance and those who are reviewing their renewals.