View Single Post

Old 09-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Home Construction in The Villages

al96: Thanks. Good information. We've noticed a temp differential in our Couryard Villa. Our bedroom is warmer than the rest of the house. Our bedroom is also furthest away from the air handling unit. I suspect that this phenomenon is related to high air temperature in the attic and I'm thinking about installing roof vents to bring the temp down a bit. The other option is to increase the insulation of the duct work which is not really a practical option IMHO. Also, I noticed somewhat of a design flaw, in that the air-return in our bedroom is about 4 feet away from the forced air vent so some of the cold air being forced-in is getting sucked out. The cold air being sucked out and returned to the air handler is heated-up dramatically as it must pass through the hot attic before being recirculated. The air-returns are also pretty close to forced air vents elsewhere in the house. Soooo, the short circuiting of the air contributes to an inefficient air cycle. I know that the cold air decends and hot air rises....but there's still plenty of opportunity to short circuit the system. An air conditioning unit with higher cooling capacity may, and I emphasize may, solve the problem, but the designed-in inefficiencies could defeat it and this would only result in higher cooling costs. But, the fall and winter months are coming up and so I'll think about attic ventilation next year.....but I think that's the solution. I'll let the forum know how it goes.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL