View Single Post

Old 04-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I blame Bambi. That's right I blame Bambi. Ever since Disney did that Bambi movie in the 1950's kids have been haunted by the prospect of hunting animals and they in turn passed that onto their offspring and their offspring to their offspring................As a result we have a national problem with an over population of deer, wolves, bison and alligators, etc. This over population is having a negative financial affect to farmers, ranchers, etc and is having a negative affect on forests, grazing lands, etc. Bears are finding their way to bedroom communities.

The bison at Lake Sumter Landing were always slated to be move and used as a tax strategy for those lands until the Developer was ready to develop the property. The lawsuit story was a red herring because it was anticipated that people would be disappointed that the bison were moved.
You are correct in your Bambi analysis. Except the movie was released in 1942, not in the 1950s.

And you are correct about the overpopulation and its negative effects. However, in defense of Walt Disney, in the 1930s the deer population of the United States had been reduced to about 300,000 due to commercial exploitation of deer. Laws were passed to stop commercial use of deer products and the current estimated deer population of the U.S. is 30 million. Perhaps it is time to lengthen the deer season and raise the bag limit.

One wonders why Disney's glorification of Mickey Mouse didn't result in a similar cry for protection of rodents. But, wait! Did it?

I recall the story of a man who was charged with killing a rat that was raiding his tomato patch. Man Faces Charges After Killing a Rat - NYTimes.com

The good news is that the charges were later dropped.