View Single Post

Old 04-11-2014, 10:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

When I was growing up, everybody smoked, and nobody picked up their dog's poop. Now most people don't smoke, and most everybody picks up their dog's poop.

When we first started visiting France, dog poop was everywhere. When we lived in France in 2010, you hardly saw any of it. The reason was because France could no longer afford to employ municipal workers to clean up the dog poop, so they imposed heavy fines instead. I mean HEAVY fines--$275 euros. All of a sudden, unscooped dog poop became a rare occurrence.

My two points are 1) there are more dogs now than there were back in the middle of the last century, and so there is a need for everyone to pick up their dog's poop.2. Education and fines are the key to changing people's behavior (see France above). 3. The older you are, the less inclined you are to change. You grew up not having to pick up after your pet, and you're not necessarily inclined to start doing it now. That was the case in my neighborhood in France. The older the dog owner, the more the poop they didn't pick up.

I know, that's three points, not two.