View Single Post

Old 09-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default There's Plenty Of Precedent For Resident-Governance Of Amenities

...even here in TV. Actually all the CDD's north of 466 (CDD's 1 thru 4) are already governed by totally resident-elected boards of supervisors. CDD 5 (the villages of Belvidere, Lynnhaven, Ashland and Bonnybrook) has a board ofsupervisors with two residents and three developer-appointed members. The rest of the CDD's south of 466 are still totally controlled by the developer.

The laws permitting the use of CDD's to develop real estate and then shift the governance from the developer to residents are widely used. There are almost 30,000 such CDD's in the U.S. with 700 or so in Florida. Of the Florida CDD's, about 500 are used for the governance of infrastructure and recreational amenities, just like here in TV.

There are actually two more existing CDD's, with one more planned, that will likely always be governed by the developer. Those are the CDD's that govern and manage the commercial buildings and activities in the town centers. There is one for Spanish Springs, another for Lake Sumter Landing, and I'm guessing there'll be a third for the new town center, Brownwood. Those have boards of supervisors totally appointed by the developer. I'm guessing that if the developer ever sells off the buildings and facilities in the town centers, the governance will be taken over by whomever the new owner or owners appoint. To me, that's the greatest area of risk that the "town center life style" could change.

There certainly are some future uncertainties regarding the governance of the infrastructure and amenities. But it's not like we're already about halfway there. Residents govern everything north of 466 and as I recall, there haven't been any dramatic negative developments as the result of the turnover of governance by the developer as the residential development is completed. Maybe we shouldn't get our shorts in a knot over a progression that already seems to be working pretty well.