View Single Post

Old 09-30-2007, 12:10 PM
Taltarzac
Default Re: Photos of members

There is a photo of me and our family dog in the Villages Daily Sun in the Lifestyles section. This is from the Memorial Day-- May 28, 2007-- Villages Daily Sun. It is accompanying an article by Mr. Gary Corsair who was I guess out looking for human interest stories in my neighborhood of Lynnhaven.

The reason I do not want to put a picture about and use my real name is that I have been bugging all kinds of institutions since 1991 to improve resources for victims of crimes accessible from the library catalogs and/or web-sites. The web-site angle dates really from after I got on the Internet in 1999 even though I had certainly been aware of a niche in this area after cataloging all the computer files on WESTLAW in a national project while I was a law student. I was a law student with a MA in Librarianship and Information Management at the University of Minnesota and the librarians there picked me to catalog all these computer files (about 2000-2500 of them then) from 1988 through 1991. I saw very little in WESTLAW's databases that would be all that useful for someone just affected by violent crime unless you had your own law librarian with you to help.

One of the librarians who picked me-- I assume-- for this WESTLAW project became Law Librarian of Congress not soon after I graduated from law school at the U of MN in 1989. Anyway, when I asked for help from the Library of Congress with persuading libraries to improve resources for victims of crimes, this Law Librarian of Congress in 1992 (August 5 or thereabouts) wrote in a letter that I would need to get all the law libraries involved for this to be effective. Well, I have tried since 1992 to get as many libraries in the US as well as in other countries to improve their resources for victims of crimes.

I started trying to get public health officials and scholars interested in getting better materials available for survivors of crimes in all sorts of libraries after going over my experiences at the U of MN and elsewhere while taking part in a study on stress on the unemployed at the UC San Francisco Medical School in late 1992 and early 1993. I was subject #613 in the UCSF Medical School study. I became aware of a niche in what was available for survivors of crimes following the February 24, 1976 of my then high school English teacher's daughter Michelle in Reno, Nevada. I have tried to get anyone I could think of into helping fill this niche from writers, to movie studio execs, to CEOs, to physicians, to nurses, to politicians, to actors, to musicians. I have often used these two numbers 2 2 4 and 6 1 3 in my attempts to improve things for survivors of crimes.

So, I would rather not have my name and picture up where anyone can see it on TOTV.

Sure love TOTV though. As someone who has worked in a number of different very large library systems-- U of MN, Minneapolis Public Library, Denver U. Library-- this is a very good resource for people to get information about what's going on in their community.