View Single Post

Old 10-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Default Re: $85,000 Average Income - Are They Kidding?

Well I certainly don't fit in with the 85+ people. I'm a retired military and federal employee living on a VA disability pension, Civil Service pension and a VERY SMALL Social Security pension (due to an offset screw job). I scrimped and saved all my life and am lucky enough now to own (no mortgage) a designer home here in TV. Have not taken more than one cruise; can't afford to play the Championship Courses; try to avoid gatherings that want to collect money for kids, the poor, disabled, religions, etc, etc. I try to avoid them because I can only just get by myself and can't afford to give away money without having it affect my present standard of living. However, my wife and I do notice the affects of gasoline increases, house prices, property taxes, and the many ways in which TV has managed to increase the cost of living here. Prices also fluctuate with the arrival and departure of Snowbirds. I'm a fair golfer and still have to play the Executive Courses. I played the Priority system for the first year I was here (been here for 6+ years now) and had to drop it when I finally got wise and realized how I was being drawn into a bottomless pit for golf expenses. But, I meet with guys daily who are absolutely convinced that ANYONE should be able to afford a grand to get a VERY SMALL advantage over other people trying to get a tee time. So, there have to be a lot of very wealthy and very stupid people living in this affordable retirement community that, six years ago, was advertising that you could play championship golf here for an average of 1 dollar a hole. Things certainly have changed. I'm getting old enough now that I won't have to worry about golf prices increasing and not have to criticize the wealthy any longer for spoiling it for the rest of us on fixed incomes.
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV