Thread: Robots for fun.
View Single Post

Old 10-08-2007, 01:05 AM
Default Robots for fun.

My husband Mac and I are renting a lovely home in TV for 3 months this coming winter. I am thrilled, but my husband Mac is less so. He is a mechanical engineer by both trade and hobby (in other words, happily an inventor). He's afraid he won't find inventor friends to have fun with. There must be at least 100 other like-minded people who are storing ideas, are working them up on computer, or on their drawing boards, or in their garage shop. Mac is currently a mentor in Dean Kamen's First Robotics contests held in high schools throughout the US to teach the kids math and engineering. He's mentoring here in NH. There is a First Robotics team in Mt. Dora H.S. and also at the Academy there, but none at T.V.H.S.

Ah, but 3 months without that stimulation will be boorrring. So his question is, are there other engineers who would love to design and build with metal - who work at inventing, robots (not the kinds that destroy things) and other moving things for fun? Typically, groups like this also have programmer and electrical engineer friends also. Is there a club for The Villages engineers that is already established? And how would he get to know about these folks? We love the concept of The Villages, and this certainly would make it complete for us. We welcome your answers. Thanks.