View Single Post

Old 10-12-2007, 08:27 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: We need honest answers.

We retired 5 years ago and decided to buy a home in Florida for the winter months. For three years we rented in Islamorada, Naples, Jupiter, and North Palm Beach. We visited developments around the state. We finally rented in the Villages for 4 months. By the end of the second month, we decided that TV had so much more to offer than anyplace we had been, we purchased a new home. We enjoy it here so much we changed our residency and consider this our primary residence seven months of the year. The fees are fair and not oppressive in any way. You get more bang for the buck here than anywhere we have visited.

I have modest experience in construction, and feel that the homes in the Villages are of the highest quality. The developer was wonderful as far as his warranty service goes. His policy is that when you report a problem, you will get a phone call in less than 24 hours and a remedy in less than 72. We reported 3 warranty items in the first year. We are very fussy about our home, my wife especially. The repairs were, an outside faucet that had loosened from the wall - repaired, ceiling paint on the front porch that peeled slightly - repaired and a kitchen cabinet door that was slightly out of alignment - repaired.
On one item, they even honored the warranty after the warranty period (1 year) had expired.

The builder has a facility in TV where he makes his own roof trusses. It is my understanding that they significantly exceed the required specs. I occasionally read about someone who has a bone to pick, but the number is so minuscule I believe that there are just some people who are naturally negative and cannot be pleased. It is unfortunate that they sometimes shout down the overwhelming majority of Village residents. Visit and randomly talk to Villagers. You will be pleasantly surprised at the enthusiastic pride they take in living here.

Hope this has been helpful.

p.s. I have no connection to the developer or management of the Villages.