View Single Post

Old 10-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Sage
Default Re: Property Taxes in Sumter County

When you hear property tax numbers from homeowners, please bear in mind that they are not all defining it the same way. The property tax BILL includes collections for the CDD Bond (original infrastructure and annual maintenance) as well as public safety and I believe something dealing with water management. These items are in addition to the ad valorum county property tax. The ad valorum is the millage rate x your assessed value. This is the main component of your tax bill and the part that relates directly to your property value. The CDD bond and annual maintenance are the same for everyone in your taxing unit (in my case 3 streets of houses). The public safety and water management are probably the same for everyone in TV in Sumter County. These other 3-4 items can add another $2,500 onto a designer home tax BILL.

Bills come out around Nov 1; you can get a 4% reduction if you pay by Nov 30; continued lesser reductions for later payment dates til the whole thing is due no later than March 31 (I think).

If you buy a new house and you occupy it in the year it was built, then the first year you only pay property tax on the land value, not the full improved value.