View Single Post

Old 10-19-2007, 08:35 AM
Eternal Member
Default Re: financial planning, retirement

Jerseygirl - we went to a seminar 14 years ago geared toward saving for our child's education. The previous nights we spent planning our summer vacation. The financial advisor made the point at the meeting that "people spend more time planning their annual vacation than planning for their financial future". It really struck home with us, and we signed up shortly thereafter. Again, it was with Ameriprise, and they eventually charged us for this in-depth analysis of our financial status, means and goals, and developed a plan that we have been following for all these years. Their fee was not the typical management fee, but one for their analysis program. They do have varying "loads" on the funds they carry which are the typical management fees.
Frankly, I feel pretty strongly that whoever showed up at that seminar that night would have helped me - it is not a skill unique to Ameriprise. As long as they are reputable and experienced. I never regretted pulling the trigger on this, and I doubt you will either, who ever you use.