View Single Post

Old 11-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Banned
Default Re: What are some fun, interesting day trips you can make from the Villages?

Central FL has a lot to offer, and many of the events require a "google" to check the dates. Examples of my favorites:

1. Florida's Annual Vietnam and All-Vet's Reunion. Held in Melbourne, FL each year (next is April 24-27, 2008), it's one of the largest (if not THE largest) in the nation.

2. Florida Strawberry Festival. Held in Plant City, FL each year (next is Feb 28 - March 9, 2008)

3. Zellwood Corn Festival. Held in Zellwood, FL each year (usually in the month of May).

4. Mount Dora Art Festival. Held just down the road in Mount Dora (usually in the month of February). One of the best in the country.

5. Winter Park Art Festival. Held in Winter Park, FL which is one of the communities forming Metro Orlando (next is March 14-16, 2008), rivals Mount Dora's event.

6. Biketoberfest. Held in Daytona Beach each year (yep, in October!). Even if you're not into the Biker world, the machines themselves can be works of art - and the people there may actually surprise you!

7. Gasparilla Pirate Events. Held in Tampa, FL (middle-end of January), the event is too complex to describe, but a lot of fun.

8. Blue Spring State Park. Located in Orange City, FL and open year-round. It's one of my favorite manatee-viewing areas and swimming locations (water is always 70-degrees).

9. Crystal River Preserve State Park. Located in Crystal River, FL and open year-round, my other favorite manatee-viewing and swimming locations.

10. 12 hours of Sebring. Auto racing at its best! Sebring, FL is south of Orlando and this internationally acclaimed grand prix event next occurs during march 12,15, 2008.

That's my top ten!