View Single Post

Old 11-08-2007, 01:19 AM
Veteran member
Default Law Enforcement Telephone Solicitations

Yesterday, we received a telephone solicitation in TV from a purported law enforcement organization asking for a donation for a program that would help find missing children and help youth programs. The caller was convincing and inferred he was connected to law enforcement. I had some experience with issues related to this specific type of solicitation during my professional career.

I talked to the caller and managed to get him to connect me with a supervisor. After making him aware of my law enforcement background, he advised me that his company was based in Michigan not Florida and they were not law enforcement officers but rather a professional fund raising entity. He assured me they were in legal compliance with statutes in Florida that govern such solicitations. I asked him what percentage of the the money raised actually went to the charity. After some prodding he said 20%. If he is being honest, that means 80% of your contribution goes to the fund raising company.

The problem is nationwide and in some cases, has been so egregious, it has caused legitimate police organizations in a number of states to stop all telephone solicitations. Further, they advise the public accordingly so citizens know they are not contributing to their police agencies if a telephone solicitation is involved.

I suggest that if you are in doubt about a call of this nature, contact your local Sheriff's Office or local police department to determine if it is legitimate before making a donation.