View Single Post

Old 11-08-2007, 03:31 AM
n/a

Default Re: Are we better off now than we were in 2000?

Z, I have to add a comment to your post. If I remember correctly, you are the topicop so forgive me if I stray off subject. I had believed the cost problem was created by the drug producers. Well I learned that fact was not entirely true. We were insured a couple of years ago under my wife's employer's plan. They shut down the office and we had to go on COBRA. It was a large amount of $$ and she wasn't sure if she was going to continue to work or not so I procrastinated about sending a check in. During that period, I needed a new prescription so I went to to the local Mom & Pop pharmacy. The prescription cost $26. Afterwards, we went on COBRA and it was time to renew the prescription. I ordered it through the insurance company and it cost $28. I called them and questioned why it was higher through the insurance co. than without any coverage. I asked how much it would have cost through them (Walgreen's) without insurance and they said $80!! I have since checked CVS and Rite-Aid and they are substantially higher than the little local pharmacy. I've learned too, that Costco marks up generics about 10% and CVS marks them up about 80% or so to place the cost slightly under name brand drugs. So now my firm opinion is it isn't only the drug manufacturers who are the problem, but the large chain retailers are doing their part too.