View Single Post

Old 07-13-2014, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,540 Times in 1,926 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

You will never know how much you missed here. As people become older, their beliefs become more entrenched. They look at things a certain way, probably because of all of their life experiences, but more often than not they view things as most of the folks did where they lived all of their lives.

I grew up in a suburb right smack dab in the middle of Ohio farm country. You grew up in the Bronx. You may think I talk funny. I may think you talk funny. You spoke about planting a fig tree. I have never seen a fig tree, but I am familiar with acres and acres and acres of soy beans. As we grow older and closer to leaving this life, what is important is sharing and listening to others and enjoying the differences and commonalities we have.

What I love about The Villages is that almost everyone has worked hard and planned to live here, and whether they live in a big ole house or a tiny one, they are living independently and have pride in their homes and yards and enjoy all of the time to try new things and meet new people. We have very little time to feel bad, sad or angry. Or worry much about the other guy's politics.

I will defend my views vehemently, but I have found many views to moderate as I listen to others, and other views to be more entrenched. You can't be me. I can't be you. That's o.k. Enjoy your life and be happy.