Thread: Sloooooow play
View Single Post

Old 07-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach
Default Sloooooow play

The biggest problem in golf IMO is slow play. Even the USGA has recognized it as a major problem and instigated the "while we're young" campaign. It keeps many people from either playing or playing as much as they might otherwise because of the time commitment and the simple frustration. I played with a 30 something man on Saturday on a championship course, who was randomly added to my threesome. He was a nice guy, enjoyable to visit with, but...............on every shot he went through a routine of five or six practice swings, backed off and looked at the line, lined up again, waggled five or six times, and finally hit the ball - often with horrible result. Now, I understand a pre-shot routine makes some sense, though I am of the opinion most people would be best served to simply walk up to the ball, look at the target, take a practice swing, address the ball, and hit it. BUT, if you are going through this kind of routine THEN shanking the ball 50 yards, I, and you, have a problem. Afterward I figured he took an extra twenty seconds per shot, and yes, per putt, not taking into consideration his several second tee shots and frequent lost balls. At twenty seconds a shot that adds up to an extra 30 minutes for an eighteen hole round! Fortunately the group behind us was slow and did not push us, but there was a two hole gap in front of us when we finished. I didn't say anything to him, as he was a stranger who I am likely, hopefully, never to play with again - If he was a friend or regular partner I would have said something. I am no great golfer, a sixteen handicapper, but I believe in a be quick, but don't hurry philosophy. I can accept bad golf, but have a tough time accepting slow golf. end of rant!