View Single Post

Old 07-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The20Percent View Post
After buying our new home in tv January of this year, we contracted with a well known lawn service company for both mowing and pest control. We have been away from the house since March. I received a call from one of the mowers a couple weeks ago informing me that our beds are now full of weeds and asked if I wanted him to pull them. I said yes and he said he would text me photos. I received the photo below (which does look like a lot of unruly grass in this one narrow bed) plus another photo of the large bed in the front of the house, which only had a few odd weeds growing here and there and didn't look bad at all. Along with this photo he said: "our normal price to maintain your beds would be $245 year. But since the back is so bad I would have to charge you an extra $150 time cleanup fee". I texted him back and said: "$150 seems very steep for one weeding. I would be willing to start your yearly weed service & pay the $245 if you start the service now. Not to mention you have only half the yard to mow now with our new pool added."

We did contract with T&D pools before leaving in March and now a large portion of our yard is full with a pool, concrete pad and bird cage. This saves our lawn mowing guys a lot of extra steps and therefore less time time with our yard now.

There was a final resolve to this story, but at this point I'm curious to hear opinions of what others in tv would say, or do, if they got this message from their lawn care provider.
Yikes, that seems too expensive! Consider using Preen for Southern Lawns (a preemergent that kills the seed as it germinates) and ROundup (be careful that you don't spray plants that you want to keep). These two things in combination will go a long way in keeping the weeds down and the cost will be about $50 for the giant size of both.