View Single Post

Old 11-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Founder
Default Re: Update on the train in my back yard in Chatham

I have had a number of people ask me what I want the Villages to do about this situation. I have sent them (The Developer) two letters about a solution, but got no reply.

There is such a thing as a "quiet zone." That is where trains do not have to sound their horn during the night hours. In order to have a "quiet zone" established, there must be an initiative on the part of a governmental or administrative entity. There is an application that must be filed with the state and federal governments. The Villages has an enormous amount of clout locally, statewide and nationally. I have pleaded with them to spearhead the initiative to have the stretch of track along the villages (and behind my house) declared a "quiet zone." Neither of my two letters received an answer.

They have a full time legal department that could do in one day what it would take an army of residents to accomplish in a year. It's the night hours especially that are a problem. We can't ever again sleep with our windows open. A quite zone would give us partial escape from the ongoing barrage of 175 decibel train horns day and night, night and day.

By the Way, I am never, ever going to give up on this battle. I do not quit. I will use every option at my disposal to resolve this issue that plagues my wife and me. In the meantime, we will enjoy every hour here at the villages, between freight trains.