View Single Post

Old 11-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Platinum member
Default Re: How did you find TV?

I was introduced to TV by my brother who lives nearby (not in TV but on an airpark, where everyone must own and fly an airplane). He came to the area almost 10 years ago and likes to complain that "there was only one stop light on 27/441 when we came!"

I came down for Thanksgiving in 2002 and we visited Town Square a number of times. I was, of course, entranced.

But, I wasn't yet ready to move out of my then-100-year-old three-story house. When I began to realize that that house was really too much for me, I looked for a suitable condo in St. Louis. Appalled at the prices (way, way more than I'd ever hope to get for my house), and recognizing that by staying there I'd not escape the winters (I figured the summers here would be just as bad), I started investigating TV.

I came in Spring 2004, stayed with my brother and explored various alternatives in the vicinity (Harbor Hills, Spruce Creek CC, Plantation, even a place called Glen Lakes on the west coast). But, the variety of stuff to do, the ambience of TV just couldn't be denied.

My northern friends all decided that I'd lost my mind ("Florida? That's for old people with far more money than you! Besides, they all live in high-rise, high-cost condos along the beach!"), even more so when I put a deposit down on my lot three days after Hurricane Frances that September!

I have a built-to-my-specs home which cost me less than I finally got for my decrepit place in St. Louis. It's essentially brand new and The Cat and I love it here! I frequently wonder how my late wife would have felt about the whole experience!