View Single Post

Old 11-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Default Re: Driving in the roundabouts

IMHO, originally from the UK i have driven thousands of roundabouts across europe where the rules follow quite closely those of Golfnut's video, i always move to the left lane when intending to leave at exits 2 (straight ahead) 3 (left turn) or 4 (u-turn). I have often experienced in TV traffic entering the roundabout parallel to me (or at the same time as i pass the exit they are entering from) and not Yielding to traffic (me) already on the roundabout which is a fundamental part of roundabout design, this leaves me having to either fall back behind this vehicle or go around again as passing on a traffic on a roundabout is not a good idea.

I do not believe the problem in TV is caused by those who use the right hand lane only or those who use the left hand lane as it should be used but those who fail to Yield to traffic already on the roundabout (this means yielding irrespective of the lane that the traffic already on the circle is in).

Roundabouts work great when used properly and in my experience are alot quicker and easier than traffic lights.