View Single Post

Old 11-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Conversion to Home owners associations

Very interesting thread. The first question that comes to mind is what is the criteria for the developer turning over control to property owners? Is it a timeline or is it buildout of a section? Is it at his whim? What exactly is included in the new responsibility, ie: roads, sewers, traffic controls, landscaping in common areas, etc.? I have talked to many "in the know", but seldom get the same answer twice. I am not suggesting that there is a sinister motivation, but homeowners need to be on the same page as the developer and the developer needs to be a more open with homeowners. It appears to me that the "notice" was sprung on the homeowners without educating them first and that is not right. Please correct me if I am misinformed.

I am not alarmed at the turnover to property owners as we expected that to happen at some point during ownership. When it actually occurs suddenly, it can be startling. Frangyomory has it exactly right with paying attention to the releases by the developer. I also believe a strong property owners association is in our collective interest. It is especially important because of the unique complexity of TV. Three counties, a municipality, extensive common areas and facilities.

Does the POA retain an attorney or professional property manager to insure that the interest of property owners are preserved when as Fran states, the developers disperse or otherwise engage in transactions that impact property owners?

My wife was president of a board that had many similarities to the Villages. It was a new oceanfront community that developed into several boards (one for each section) and a master association board where each section had a representative. There was a mix of private homes, condos and townhouses. The master association took care of common area, multiple pools, beach, recreation areas and parking issues. The boards took care of their section or units. We also had an on premise manager and small staff that responded to day to day issues. The original manager was the developer's man. Not the best situation. Subsequently, the association intereviewed candidates and appointed his successor. Accordingly the property owners were better served. The point is that we were apprehensive, suspicious and concerned with the unknown as we went through the metamorphosis to self government as the community grew. Today it is extremely well managed and a very desirable property.

Do not be overwhelmed by these complexities. With patience, monitoring and support for those who communicate our interests, this too shall pass. Life in the Villages is good. Be of good cheer. Have a great day.