View Single Post

Old 11-14-2007, 03:52 PM
Veteran member
Default Don't let some of the threads keep you from moving to the Villages!

I try to keep up on the threads here because I love this site. I have posted what I know to be the truth about some of the negative issues here in the Villages. I have indicated that anyone who is a potential buyer MUST look out for themselves and ensure they know everything they need to know before becoming an owner.

That being said, there is really no more wonderful place to live anywhere that I could find in a seven year search of 55+ communities.

Yes, the developer will do whatever they can to save money and make money BUT that does not change the concept of the lifestyle here. To ensure that your home is built to standards that are acceptable to you and home building laws, be sure to hire an independent person to evaluate your home construction. If that person finds anything wrong in the first year of ownership, the developer MUST repair/fix/meet compliance needs.

When looking at pre-owned properties, interview neighbors. I live on a corner and several times my bell has wrung by people who just want to ask about the neighborhood. I am happy to respond.

Is there a vinyl siding issue here??? Absolutely. Experts hired by owners have indicated a serious problem and the POA can give you a lot of information about that.

We purchased a newly built courtyard villa two years ago and I find nothing shoddy about the construction. Have some of my neighbors had problems?? Yes, but I have not. In any new construction you are going to have difficulties but there are ways to ensure your home is built to appropriate specifications.

Again, don't let any of these issues keep you from doing some hard looking at the Villages. This is a wonderful place to live and my husband and I wouldn't consider moving away for anything.

We are not old, in my opinion. Just early 60's. We are far from rich. We both retired as early as we could so we could enjoy some years together without the hassle of work. We maintain a budget and don't go overboard in spending, just as we did prior to retirement.

Yes, the VHA is NOT the best organization on whom to depend for information because of their alignment with the developer BUT we have the POA who will give you the truth. You are also bright enough yourselves to look into how the government of these retirement communities work. There is a lot of information on the internet about communities with this form of government.

Is the developer going away? Yes. I understand the target date is 2011 which coincides with the completion of the building plan for the Villages. Can we make that a positive thing? Absolutely yes, if we pay attention to what is going on and become involved in our community. Just because we are retired does not mean we just veg out and let things happen!!!!!!

Talk to your neighbors. Attend meetings, even those held by VHA just to get a glimpse of how "they" operate. Attend POA meetings and any other meetings announced for whatever purpose that relates to living here in the Villages.

Don't be scared off of what can be a wonderful opportunity for anyone who wants an active lifestyle in a wonderful location, with great neighbors!