View Single Post

Old 11-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Humidity and aching joints

We have been wintering in the Villages for about 5 years. We purchased a home here 2 years ago and are now Florida residents. Coming from the northeast, I know exactly how damp, cold weather effects arthritis especially in the shoulder, hands and feet. In my case, I am more comfortable here than in the northeast or the coastal regions. This from a guy who is the original beach bum, raised on the ocean and loving it. Maybe the great people and lifestyle in the Villages have something to do with it.

I can't give you scientific research or data that supports my opinion here. It is based on talking to old timers, an article here and there and personal observation. Here goes. I was surprised to learn that this area of Florida is considered arid. This would partially explain the surprising (to us) low number of nuisance insects that are bigger problems in other parts of the state and northeast. Some say the Jersey skeeters are so big they plot them on radar at Newark Airport. Don't misunderstand, there are mosquitoes here but nothing like in the Jersey meadows and salt marshes. We haven't seen any of those nasty greenheads either. We were surprised at the relatively low number of other "bugs" in this area. The lovebugs are probably the biggest nuisance but they have a relatively short life span. If you know how they spend their happy adult life, you would understand why. When I talked to an exterminator, he reinforced the significance of the "arid" climate of this area.

Occasionally the humidity creeps up and the old joints feel it but in my opinion, not as much as the coastal areas. A caveat is that we are not here in July and August. Perhaps another villager can shed some light on those months.

Regarding humidity or cold, I would opt for humidity being the igniter, then, exacerbated by cold.

Hope this helps.