View Single Post

Old 08-02-2014, 09:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I don't miss it. I look forward to it every year. Dove, ducks, geese, quail, pheasant, pronghorn antelope, deer, elk, turkey, javelina, even bear.

The FIRST thing I noticed when I walked into the Lake Sumter Landing sales office a few years ago were the mounted trophy size mule deer heads. I realized someone was a serious hunter when I saw those!
I find the sales office at Lake Sumter Landing with all those animal heads disgusting. I couldn't even sit in that particular room. The person to whom you refer as being a "serious hunter" is no other than our developer, Mr. Morse. That's right . . . Mr. Morse. Two years ago he was fined in Montana for poaching out of season. He has also purchase property east of Ocala where he has built a lodge and will operate the property for the purpose of having a "canned hunt" operation for himself and his friends.

Please read this excerpt from Wikipedia:

A number of groups object to the practice of canned hunting for reasons such as cruelty to animals or that it takes away what is known as "fair chase."

The Humane Society of the United States is an outspoken critic of canned hunting. In a statement, the HSUS called canned hunts "cruel and brutal activities," in which the hunted animal has "absolutely no chance of escape." It went on to say that animals have been "psychologically conditioned to behave as a target by life in captivity," among other objections.

Some hunting groups, especially those who focus on hunters' ethics, also object to canned hunting. These objections are on the grounds of "fair chase," the idea that an animal has a fair chance of escaping the hunter, and it's not too easy for the hunter to kill the animal. It is believed that canned hunts take this element away.