View Single Post

Old 11-20-2007, 02:14 PM
Default Re: financial planning, retirement

Several years ago I started making it a point to learning basic retirement investment on my own. After all, it is my money, I earned it so I should take responsibility as to where it is invested. I did so by listening to shows like Bob Brinker (Money Talk), CNBC and more recently Adam Bold (The Mutual Fund Show) I use a blend of many of these resources. I liked the common sense premise of using no load mutual funds analyzing their performance and managing my portfolio myself. There are many things to keep in mind like assett allocation appropriate to your age. These days I have a laddered CDs included in the fixed income catagory (I Like federally insured to be included)

I also enjoy listening to Suze Ormans CNBC shows. She for the most part, is more general in her approach but she covers many pertinent financial issues. One of her recent shows she spoke about the perils of "free dinners" at retirement communities and the problems with annuities and other products these seminars sell. She says avoid them at all cost!

If a club would be organized I would be interested in participating if:

1. It was limited to people managing their own portfolios through brokerage accounts (This could be Fidelity, Vanguard, Scottrade etc)

2. Absolutely no discusion on how much people have. That is a private matter. Only percent in various investment choices.

3. Perhaps discussions on appropriate age allocations (we all remember the foolish people who lost everything because they had it all in Enron stock)

3. I think looking at various funds and bringing in due dilligence research could be helpful

4. Discussions on when to get out of funds and why

5. Share articles that could be helpful from reputable financial magazines

5. I would want absolutely NO salespeople appearing hawking their products. There are enough free dinners for people who want to participate in those!

6. The most important thing is I want to control my funds.. not somebody else!

Well anyway.. If anyone one else is interested and has the same goals... count me in!

Sea...