View Single Post

Old 11-22-2007, 06:30 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: I don't understand such strong "feeling" against dogs

Wow! Poor kitties!!! Jan, you can now safely say that there are serious negative comments about cats.

Personally, I love my cats. Wouldn't give one of them up for anyone or anything. But, then, I loved my snake, my tarantula, my Old English, my Afghan hounds (and if there ever was a dumber dog created, I really would like to know what it is), my dad's beagles, my St. Bernard, my poodle, my 2 guinea pigs, 3 rats and 1 ferret. I even liked the skunk family that lived under my neighbor's townhome (probably wouldn't have loved them as much had they lived under my portion, but hey!).

Those that trap, neuter, release feral cats normally make sure they are immunized for rabies and feline leukemia, at least those that I know do. Should they be allowed to roam? Of course not! They live longer, better lives in loving homes. But most feral cats do not do well in homes. They are usually terrified. If they are fed, they rarely kill other animals. As to their defecating, at least they bury their messes. Hopefully, we won't get into discussions about what kitty urine can do to a lawn, especially since Florida has to have the ugliest grass I've ever seen -- heck kitty urine patterns in it might just be an improvement!

In the SF Bay Area, we had a pretty good solution. Feral cats would be trapped and neutered. Those that could be tamed to live in homes were put up for adoption. Those that could not were left to be feral but moved to a new location -- the federal women's prison/camp in Dublin. It was my understanding that the cats there were treated with love and many would happily come and cuddle with these women. In return, the Feral Cat Society would provide food, medical and flea treatments for the cats. Since the cats were neutered, the feline population did decrease and the last I heard they were down to about 25 cats there. It really seemed like a great solution for all.

I don't know how many feral cats there are in TV. I know I've seen a couple of cats around my home but I'm not sure if they're feral or just cats visiting the new girls on the block. They're cute cats and look well fed but I do wish their owners were more responsible and that, my friends, is where the responsibility belongs -- ON THE OWNERS. Don't blame the animal whether it be dog, cat or even alligator. They are doing what nature intended. It is up to the humans in their lives to make sure they do what nature intended in appropriate manners and in appropriate places.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein