Thread: Girl Talk
View Single Post

Old 08-22-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I am wondering if anyone has a magic solution for nails that are splitting. I'm thinking of a nutritional supplement. We used to think gelatin helped, but I'm not sure if that does any good. I'm sure it's not a lack of calcium because I get plenty. And my hair seems to be healthy.

For a while I had gel nails. I loved looking at ten perfect nails. But the time spent in salons really got to me. And when the gel nails went, my real nails were bumpy and awful. So I patiently waited for my own nails to grow out.

I have a bucket full of nail hardeners. But I googled it and read that it is bad to use nail hardeners, because you have to use polish remover to take it off. And apparently polish remover is extremely hard on nails. The consensus on google seems to be ... use hand cream frequently.

So for the last month I've been using hand cream frequently. And I was thrilled because it really seemed to make a difference. Then my nails started splitting again. Maybe it's just another one of those aging things. Sigh.
Check with your local manicurist. She might know of some product that will work. Embalming fluid is what I used when I was younger (dated a funeral director). Makes them very hard. Oils will soften your nails. I have a bath & beauty product company and have done much research on the subject. BTW, the best oil for your skin is a light one, like jojoba oil, or sweet almond. Stay away from olive oil. Shea butter for your feet.