Thread: ROCK MUSIC
View Single Post

Old 11-24-2007, 12:45 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: ROCK MUSIC

Jazz and classical music can put me into a state of nirvanha. Rock -- oldies, psychedelia, some heavy metal, modern -- usually means I can't sit still and body parts have to bop. It makes me happy to hear it. Let me hear the right sound on the radio and I HAVE to blast it out (my poor neighbors here). And, yes, to me the right sound can be good rap and hip-hop. Today's artists are some of the most talented wordsmiths and poets I've ever heard. They put Dylan and Baez to shame with their messages. I may not always like the message I'm hearing but the words are impressive.

I was fortunate and grew up in several musical eras. My brother was 7 years older and insisted I listen to HIS music (the Mickey Mouse Club was a communist plot to take over the minds of American children -- it was on opposite American Bandstand). So, the 50s rock was very much a part of my culture. I was one of the lucky ones who was there (albeit accidently) at the beginning of the hippie movement -- the Monterey Pop Festival which featured Janis, Jim, the Who, Alvin & the Chipmunks, the guy who did Purple People Eater .... it was an eclectic day to put it mildly. If Janis or Jimi were playing somewhere in NoCal, I was there. So, I do love the psychedelic sounds. I basically helped raise the neighborhood kids before my daughter came into my life. They kept me up to date on heavy metal, hip-hop, etc. I discovered the fun in those genres, too.

My father insisted that jazz and country be played in the house. Nothing like some Trane and then Patsy Cline to confuse a child. rofl

Given a choice, I would love to hear more blues in the Squares. Give me a man who can play a good axe and I'm in hog heaven.

Only music that truly hurts my ears and psyche is disco and techno pop. Both are the same sound over and over and over. Oh, did I mention that they are repetive?

So, yes, it would be nice to hear different sounds. However, I'm content with most of what I hear (as long as it isn't SLOWWWWWW). I can always play what I like at home and in my car.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein