Thread: Speedtrap info
View Single Post

Old 11-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: Speedtrap info

I admit to being a speeder. Not so much in TV but just in general. I've driven fast cars most of my life. I have a tendency to drive a car the way it was meant to be driven, which is rarely by the rules of the road. However, I have taken several defensive driving classes, have my NASCAR license and can probably outdrive 98% of the drivers on the road. Does that excuse my speeding? No, but it probably makes me a safer driver at 100 mph than most at 25.

I've had my share of tickets. I've only fought one and that was because I wasn't speeding when I got it. I understand I'm breaking the law when I speed and I don't argue the tickets nor do I try to excuse myself when I'm pulled over. (I do, however, pull out my NASCAR license, which frequently works well enough to not get the ticket).

However, speed traps are another thing. There was one where I used to live that if you went 2 miles over the limit, you got a ticket. I firmly believe people should be aware of those. They are not fair and are not done for any safety purpose -- they are there strictly as a way for a town to make money. Those that are there for safety are usually well advertised -- the goal is to get people to slow down, not issue a citation. So, I'll stick with the right of others to know where speed traps are, especially in strange towns.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein