Thread: Speedtrap info
View Single Post

Old 11-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: Speedtrap info

I don't speed in heavy traffic. That's stupid. However, if it is a freeway, nighttime and minimal traffic, I'm going as fast as my car will allow. I do not whip in and out of traffic. I slow down long before I get close to another car to see what lane it is going to be in and then move over or not as is appropriate and pass the vehicle before I go on my merry, heavy-footed way again. I even go well below the speed limit when it is raining or there is heavy fog or anything else I perceive as hazardous.

I have been put in danger many a time by non-speeders. I've had to do a complete 360 on the Oakland Bay Bridge because the fool in front of me thought slamming on the brakes and not having his bike strapped down (in the trunk) was a reasonable thing to do (and, no, I wasn't tailgating or speeding, just one of those flukes). I've ended up on the shoulder by fools changing lanes without looking. So far as I know, no one has ever been in danger because of my love of speed.

You're right, having a NASCAR license doesn't give me the right to speed. What it does do is require a defensive driving course every 5 years. I must prove I can handle a car under almost any condition. It makes me much more aware what is out there and what could happen and, more importantly, what to do when it does happen.

And, where, pray tell, did I give the impression that I was looking down on anyone? I'd say it's you who is still on his high horse, not me.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein