View Single Post

Old 11-28-2007, 01:59 AM
Eternal Member
Default Home Owners Insurance Rebate

This was discussed in an earlier thread but I thought I would start a new one.

Would you like to get a rebate on your home owners insurance? Here is a chance to get one.

The state of Florida has been offering a free wind inspection program for quite a while now. From what I read at the site it is still free. When I called my homeowner's insurance company to see what this meant to me, they said that if you qualify, you can get up a rebate on your hurricane coverage that is in your homeowner's policy.

I had my home inspected and the inspector gave me completed form to give to my insurance company. The inspection takes about 1/2 hour. They check up in the attic for the number of nails in the joists and the type of strapping that holds the roof to the base of the house and other items. They also check outside for certain structural items. Certain roof styles also qualify for an additional rebate.

I asked why we had to have the inspections since we live in TV and all houses should be the same. He replied that just because all of the houses look alike does not mean that the builders followed the same rules.

For most houses in my section of TV, there is a $200-600 reduction of our insurance rates. This means a rebate check if you pay in full or a reduction in your monthly payment if you pay monthly. And the inspection is noted on your policy for the following years.

The wind inspection has nothing to do with the rebate program that was highlighted in the Daily Sun today.

Go to www.mysafefloridahome.com and click on Wind Inspections on the left hand side and go to the Q&A to see if you qualify. Most of us do. Read the information at the site to see what you need to do to arrange for a free wind inspection for your home. Then click on the Application for Wind Inspection to fill out a wind inspection form.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.