View Single Post

Old 11-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: I don't understand such strong "feeling" against dogs

Those that trap, neuter, release feral cats normally make sure they are immunized for rabies and feline leukemia, at least those that I know do.

Yes. I make sure any cat I trap has a wellness test first. And yes, I am familiar with rabies and educated animal lovers would never handle a stray, feral or lost animal without using caution and/or gloves.

My ferals are given shots with one of those being rabies.

I trapped a beautiful cat three years ago. She came to my window and peeked in every night. It was mid winter and freezing. I put a shelter outside and made sure she was fed. A stray cat can find shelter but without adequate food, they can succumb to the elements of winter.

I trapped her; had her fixed and checked out. She was fine. My intent was to let her go after a few days but there was something about her that caught my heart. Missy is now my best friend and follows me around constantly. She brings me more joy than a lot of my human friends!

A cat born outside becomes feral in less than six weeks - why? Because they don't have human contact and have never experienced the touch of a human hand. There actions of hissing and growling are a survival instinct and also fear.

A feral cat has an approximate life span of 6-7 years. Any stray that comes to me will be fed.

Did anyone catch the story in the Sun this week about the woman who rescues strays. There's a place in heaven for her!