View Single Post

Old 09-13-2014, 10:22 AM

Our home in NE Ohio sold within a couple of days of listing in March 2012 so we had only a month to find a new home in TV, pack up and move. We found our new house online and bought sight unseen and then came down to look at it a week later. So here's my tip to new buyers. Take a floor plan with you to your new home and verify the room dimensions. How wide are the door openings? How long is each wall? Eg, that short section of wall between the door and the corner of the room where you think your favorite piece may fit. Also, mark where all of the outlets, phone and TV connections are located. When we got back up North, I measured all the furniture and stuff we thought we might take. I then handed all this info to the wife and she did her magic with the floor plan and little cutouts of all the stuff. When the moving van arrived in TV everything fit where we planned. Quite an effort, but well worth it. In our case, we sold our living room and family room furniture and bought new here. Our stuff was old and we wanted a new beginning that fit the style here.

I agree whole heartedly with previous posters who say be patient and prioritize what needs to be done; you have plenty of time. We bought new cottage home so our first thing was window treatments. I measured the windows, went to Home Depot, and in one day we had the needed privacy.

And lastly regarding vendors. I don't think we have done business with anyone who came to our door unsolicited. Know what you want, check TOTV and neighbors, do online research, then you contact the vendors and get estimates. Beware of vendors who don't have their business name on their vehicle. Don't buy a great big palm from a guy in a black pickup who says it was left over from the job he did that day and he'll plant it for you for $50 or $100. He'll plant it alright, but the next morning you'll see a hole in your yard where it used to be and he'll be off to his next sucker.