Thread: The Fridge
View Single Post

Old 12-02-2007, 02:11 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: The Fridge

Susan, thank you so much. After I left TOTV last night, I was kicking myself. After I reread my post, I could see why people would think "who does she think she is".

It's a mixture of leaving what I consider my dream home that we bought ten yeas ago. Homes in the midwest are a fraction of what it would cost in Boston (where I'm from originally). So, when we had this home built, it was a dream for me. Coming from humble roots, I never thought at age 50 I would have such an elegant home. It's as simple as that. Now toss in the fact that my son and daughter with their families live within a mile of me; it just adds to the fear and that's a good description; it's fear. I don't think it's the materialistic part of it as much as the emotional part. Sure I hate giving up my stuff and downsizing but it has to be done.

My TV rep told me a story about a couple who put a downpayment on a home, etc. A week before the closing, the guy called saying his wife was having a melt down and couldn't leave the kids; she was upset, her family was upset, her grandchildren were crying and depressed. This man was going to lose his downpayment and 20%. Not a good enough reason to get his money back. The next day he called back and said they were coming. My immediate thought was of relief in feeling that I'm not a misfit and others feel the strong pull I'm feeling.

While my family is supported, I know they are not excited about us moving away. So, toss that into the mix, it does become a struggle. I talked to so many grandparents in TV and they all say the same thing "wait until the kids come to visit". Does that help? In many ways it does but I just have to get to that part.

The big pull for me to move is my husband. He's tired of working; he's tired of maintaining a big home and we're both tired of the weather -- we have a nice little ice storm yesterday which means my husband is stuck in NY! He had to travel there on business this weekend.

Anyway, I'm going on and on but I want you to know Susan that I reapply appreciate your insight and wise words.

I'll make it and when you move to TV; I'll buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks!

Oh, and I didn't read the book but I will look for it!