View Single Post

Old 12-02-2007, 11:20 PM
Default Re: How to Get Rid of All Your Stuff

We rented a dumpster. Threw out most of the basement and garage. Figured old tools could be replaced with nice new ones if needed (saws and garden stuff etc). Husband is retired and doesn't want to do any work. Anything good offered to relatives or gave to GoodWill. Had over 20 boxes of Christmas stuff that I reduced to 5. You just have to take a very hard look at what you want to keep. I do wish I had kept more of my garden tools. 1/2 of our furniture we sold with the house to include appliances. We had planned that everything was old when we would retire and move. Only good thing was freezer(2 yrs old) and we decided not to have one. We bought our house here in TV before we sold the other one. We had sizes for all the rooms and knew where we were placing everything large in size. Old pictures on walls stayed (hid fading areas) as we wanted a different decorating look. Last house we lived in for 22 years. Bedroom set was older than 20 yrs so that went to charity. If things are small and can't decide, then take them.

Packed our boxes ourselves except for what we wanted covered by insurance. Our car carried things we didn't want to lose, computer, safe, photos and things like that.

Best not to move during summer as heat will affect some of the things you bring down. Do not pack any candles in moving van boxes. They melted and ruined some of my stuff and that was my fault. I also broke some of my CHristmas ornaments.

So sad to see it all go. Space in houses here are at a premium. Store stuff under beds and bought a platform bed with drawers and plenty of dresser space.

I did keep a bit of my winter clothes for emergency trips back home.

Downsized to one van and now a golf cart.

Hope that helps!