View Single Post

Old 12-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Founder
Default Re: How to Get Rid of All Your Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanci2539
Jan, how does one go about having an aution?
We lived in Vestal, New York. (A suburb of Binghamton). There was a well know antique dealer/auctioneer in the area. I use to see him at the gym where I worked out.

When we decided to move, I called him and asked the procedure for an auction. Here is what we did. We coordinated the auction with the actual move.

We tagged everything that we wanted to keep and had the movers take it out. Then the auctioneer started. They came to the house with a crew of about six people. They gathered up everything that was not tagged and grouped it according to classification. (dishes, silverware, tools, furniture, antiques, junk). They had already erected a large tent in the front yard and had advertised the day and date of the auction. The night before a and the day of the auction, workers were buzzing around the house getting stuff organized. They set up a check out clerk with a computer who handled all of the sales.

At 2 p.m. the day of the auction, a hot dog/ice cream truck and about 300 people with lawn chairs showed up and the auction began. I stood there and watched people clamor over our stuff. The things I thought were worth $500 sold for $50. The things I thought were worth .50 sold for $50. Those things that did not sell, were placed on a large table to the side. At the end of the auction, he auctioned off the entire table of stuff that didn't sell.

After it was all over, the auctioneer kept 30% we got the rest. They then sent a crew into the house to clean out every piece of junk, trash and paper that might have been left there. The house was absolutely empty when they were done.

Was it a good thing to do? It was absolutely the best thing we did associated with our move. I would do it again in a heartbeat.