View Single Post

Old 12-03-2007, 03:12 PM
beartrack1
Default Re: Stealing from restaurants

I spent forty years in the restaurant business in the New York and Long Island area. I discovered long ago that everyone that eats, believes that they are an expert on the operation of a restaurant. That maybe the reason for the following statistics that were published in the New York restaurant owners association newsletter " The failure rate for first time restaurant owners is 90 to 95%. For seasoned owners that open up their second location the failure rate is 35 to 40% " Tough business isn't it ! This may sound a little foolish to some of you that read this but, running a restaurant is risky business and you have to be on the premise from the opening bell to closing, seven days a week. You have to be aware of the front of the room and the back of the room as well as greeting your patrons by shaking hands and welcoming their guests. Customer complaints must be handled by an experienced person with a lot of people skills. You can always tell when someone is trying to get away with something and you have to handle each event based on it's own merit. There are many "tricks" of the trade that can lead to a satisfactory outcome for both parties. There is not enough time or space here for me to teach " Restaurant 101 " Let it suffice for me to say that qualified experienced managers, owners service staff etc. Can keep the folks happy and the profits up.

My experience tells me that there are many, many more good, honest and appreciative people then there are those that would cheat, especially at "The Villages"

So, happy dining, over tipping much appreciated !!!!!!