View Single Post

Old 09-24-2014, 08:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
No one is debating that he's a classy guy! The debate is how people have this guy on a pedestal for his accomplishments on the field. His heart can't be measured but stats don't lie when you're speaking facts.Defensively he was an average shortstop if not below average.His offense was average at best.! Sorry if all don't put him on a pedestal just because he's a class act.
I agree to disagree with your points of view. Another RedSox fan dissing a Yankee because of their heated rivalry.

Some things just transcend baseball. Jeter started his Turn 2 Foundation in his first year of baseball to keep kids from getting addicted to drugs. One of the few ballplayers who gave back to the game. Another was Roberto Clemente. Another humanitarian and a class act, who was killed in a plane crash.

There are a lot of ballplayers who admire what he's done. He was never the greatest defensive shortstop but he did rate 6th on the all time hit leader list . Last time I looked, no one from the RedSox was above him.

I saw Ted Williams play and he was the greatest hitter I ever saw. I can only imagine what his final stats would have been, if he didn't lose 5 years in the service, due to WWII and Korea. A great american who transcended baseball. IMHO

BTW - Ted didn't have a love relationship with the press like Derek Jeter. It didn't diminish his accomplishments one bit.

Derek Jeter is immitated, but will never be duplicated.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).