View Single Post

Old 10-01-2014, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

KC was at 16-1 and Pittsburgh 14-1 to win the World Series prior to winning the Wild Card Playoffs games. The Dodgers and Angels are both at 5-1. I don't think much has changed because of one win.

It was great for the Royals fans to have a post season game after so many years and it was especially great for them that they won. But I wouldn't bet the farm on either the Royals or the Pirates going much further.

These additional wildcard playoff games only serve to make more money for MLB and the teams by allowing four more teams who have little chance of going anywhere to have one more game. Of course the Red Sox won the WS in 2004 as a Wild Card team, but they had a better record than two of the first place teams in the league. In fact, they had the third best record in all of baseball which is why it's good to have a wild card team.

In the case of the Pirates and Giants, they were ties so I think that additional game was a good thing. One more team is not bad when that team is close, but I am concerned that they're going to keep expanding the playoffs until we have a bunch of team that shouldn't be there. Of course the weather conditions prevent baseball from extending the season much longer so maybe that will never be a problem.

I'd love to see the teams seeded according to their record by the way with no regard for whether or not they won their division by the way. Same with football. I don't like to see a team with a much better record having the home field advantage simply because they were in a weaker division. It's happened too many times.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.