View Single Post

Old 10-01-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeo View Post
Has anyone had this procedure done.....no idea what the procedure is called....they remove part of the bone in your thumb which is supposed to make your thumb not hurt any more. Wondering if anyone has had this done or know someone who has, did it work, would you do it again, and any problems now with using your thumb?

I had a basal joint replacement six years ago and my pain is gone. Before the surgery I couldn't even get my car keys out of my right pocket because of the pain. I was very diligent with my weekly physical therapy for 13 weeks after the surgery. Now I have full strength and mobility of the thumb with only an almost invisible L-shaped scar. Very happy I had the operation done.

Dr. Federowitz (aka Dan The Hand Man) in Vestal NY used the LRTI method with the new (at that time) biodegradable screws.

From MedicineNet.com:

Thumb basal joint (where the thumb meets the wrist): This joint is exposed to very high stresses with normal activities. Forces felt at the tip of the thumb are multiplied 12 times in their effect to the thumb base, thus predisposing this joint to wear. Arthritis of this joint is very common, especially in women, and frequently requires joint replacement. Attempts at silicone replacement of this joint have not been as successful as hoped due to implant failure and bone destruction. Thus, the most common joint replacement procedure for the thumb base is done with natural material. The procedure is termed the ligament reconstruction-tendon interposition procedure (LRTI). This procedure uses the patient's own tendon to stabilize the thumb and resurface the joint. LRTI provides stability and pain relief. Long-term results have been excellent. This has also been called the tendon roll or "anchovy" procedure because the tendon used is curled to form the new joint cushion.