Thread: Satellite Dish
View Single Post

Old 12-08-2007, 01:41 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.
Default Re: Satellite Dish

I have had DISH since 1998 and love it. When asked about DISH TV or Direct TV vs Comcast I explain that it is essentially the same concept. The Comcast satellite dishes receive (downlink) signals from telecommunication satellites and are processed through their distribution system then the signals run through miles of cable, or less depending on your proximity to the cable downlink station, to your receiver(s)/descrambler(s) aka "cable box(es)". With your own satellite dish exactly the same thing occurs but the signal travels a much shorter distance from the point of downlink on your roof to your distribution block and then on to your receiver(s)/descrambler(s). Thus the difference between Comcast and DISH TV or Direct TV means you will have a much better image due to the shorter distance the signal travels.

Any satellite dish is vulnerable to bad weather; thunderstorms, heavy winds, rain and snow in the north. During bad weather signals can be lost regardless of whether your satellite dish downlink is on your roof or coming from Comcasts downlink location. As noted by iaudit it is safest to turn off your receiver in those situations and that includes Comcast as well. In bad weather I will watch a DVD or switch to regular broadcast television as I have a special external antenna which is attached to the dish post. I recommend external antennas if you live in an area where signals from local TV transmitters come in strongly.

The most important thing to remember about installing a satellite system is that your system is only as good as the actual installation itself! A lot of installers are actually subcontractors used by DISH TV or Direct TV which is not necessarily a bad thing but there can be significant differences in the proficiency of one installer compared to another. An unstable dish or one not accurately aimed at a telecommunications satellite results in a weak signal and thus a poor TV image.