View Single Post

Old 10-06-2014, 05:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I usually pull for the underdog, and if this was any other year I would be for the Royals. I've been an Oriole's fan all my life since I born about 9 blocks from Memorial Stadium on 33rd St. My first O's game was in July 1959 when I was 9 years old. It wasn't a great game for the O's that day but I remember the game pretty well, since the Indians' Rocky Colavito hit 4 homers in the game and Cleveland's left fielder Minnie Minosa we gave a hard time all game long, but he was funny and he liked us O's fans.

My favorite player in the 60's was Louie Aparacio. He played my favorite position shortstop, and he was small like me but a really good fielder. At a spring training game in 1966 as the team was boarding the bus in St. Petersburg, I handed Louie a dozen photos of the stars of the team and asked if he could get them signed. After a couple of minutes, he opened the window on the bus and said, here you go. He had all the photos signed, there was Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, Jim Palmer, Davy Johnson, Paul Blair and Boog Powell to name a few. Go O's!!!! Isn't That Orange Pretty!!

The Villages Florida