View Single Post

Old 10-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Default My Golf Car Experiences

We have lived in The Villages for four years and currently own three golf cars including a 2014 Yamaha. a 2014 E-Z-GO, and a 2011 Star (all electrics). We also previously owned a 2012 Yamaha gas.

Gas vs. Electric:
There is no emotional right or wrong here and don't listen to the golf car salesman. The key questions are where do you live and what is the farthest you expect to drive your golf car in a day. If you live at the extreme North or South end of The Villages, and regularly travel to the opposite end, I would definitely own gas. It will make your life less worrisome. If you live nearer to the North-South center, as we do, the options are much more complicated.

Gas car comments:
You will have extreme useable range-easily 200 miles on a tank of gas. Figure on 40-45 miles per gallon. They are somewhat noisy, especially with all of the enclosures down in the winter. You will need one annual maintenance visit for an oil change and miscellaneous maintenance. If you want to add a heater, you will be limited to propane as the only really functional choice.
As to smell, I did not find my gas car to be a problem as most of the fumes are from others and are mainly in the tunnels.
I personally believe Yamaha builds the best gas car by far. Good performance and ride.

Electric car comments:
The quiet is really nice, but battery configuration really matters here. If you buy a car with 4 12 volt or 6 8 volt batteries, don't expect a lot more than 20-25 miles on 50% of your charge. If you regularly discharge the batteries any more, you shorten the life (an occasional longer trip does not matter). If you want to go 30-40 miles on a 50% discharge, I would opt for 8 6 volt batteries or buy 6 8 volts and plan on spending $1,000 to install 6 Trojan Ranger 160's as I did.
AC drive is superior to DC. Currently, E-Z-GO has AC with Yamaha introducing it in December. It is an option on ParCar. AC has far superior acceleration and better efficiency and you will actually be able to accelerate quickly going up a grade.
I feel the costs to own an electric or gas car are quite comparable (excluding depreciation), but you will pay it differently. The gas car cost is more of a straight line, while the monthly electric cost is cheaper, until you have to replace the batteries, the charger, or both. Depreciation is definitely higher on an electric car.

General recommendations:
Pay for an upgraded seat. You will spend a lot of time in your car and the standard seats are truly awful. An upgraded seat will be more comfortable and, with Sunbrella inserts, will be cooler. If one of you is shorter, an adjustable seat may be needed.
Consider a speedometer. It's fun to see how far you travel and know your speed. You will need a good gas gauge if you buy gas, or a good voltmeter if you buy electric. A 12 volt socket is a nice option. Add a fan, if you will golf in the warm months. I also think added LED lights are a fun option and will improve visibility (especially for the front turn signals). Finally, if you want to store a few things out of sight, add locking glove boxes and a cooler. Install seat belts and use them Most injuries are due to ejection of the occupants.
I would suggest avoiding large wheels with low profile tires. They will detract from a smooth ride.
Buy cart insurance with uninsured motorists coverage added. You would be surprised how many golf cars have NO liability insurance.
Stick with one of the big four brands-Yamaha, E-Z-GO, ClubCar, or ParCar. Our Star has been just fine, but we still have it because it just isn't worth much anymore. It has four person capacity when the grandchildren visit.
Drive them all to see what fits your price range and comfort level.

While the above are all my own opinions, I hope they will be helpful to the first time golf car buyer.

Last edited by DAN48; 10-09-2014 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Addition