Thread: Obnoxious words
View Single Post

Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 PM
n/a

Default Obnoxious words

JohnZ,

I picked up your reference to me in this political thread. I feel sure that I am messing with the thread content because this is not a political comment. (I have never been in the political part of this board and I never will be.)

But I do so love words. Prioritize? Yuck? But I don't know if it has attained word status or not. Remember the days when we used to have to interface.

I am still out here struggling with what to do with online? on line? on-line? -- and spell check is no help.

Today, I actually had a conversation about whether to pronounce the "p" in comptroller. That is a pretty funny one. I looked it up on dictionary.com and found the "p" and sans "p" pronunciations have actually come to a vote. I am meeting one tomorrow so I will ask him what he is.

There is a college somewhere that once a year comes out with a list of words that are used obnoxiously. But I cannot remember where to find it.

Tal,

If you are reading this, I bet you will know where this list is. I remember that last year "went missing" was on it. I hate that expression. I consider you to be the online, on line, on-line reference of TOTV. You saved me a ton of time with your links to the Christmas ornament sites when I asked the question. And I put your link to the Twain quotes in my favorites. I really do appreciate what you are doing. I know a librarian when I see (read) one. There was an ALA poster that said, "When you absolutely, positively have to know, ask a librarian." Your reference connections make you a real 21st Century librarian. Thank you.

(After I read back over this I realized that I should have just started a new thread. But I don't know how to move it now. And I really must move forward with my life by stepping
away from the infernal machine.)

BB